Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Roma

Sorry, it's been a while.  My debit card got frauded and I have spent most of my internet time dealing with that.

Ok, So I am currently now in Athens, Greece, but I didn't write about Rome sooo...here is a recap from ROMA.

We stayed at a really cool camping sight.  Plus Camping Roma (I highly recommend it if you are young and ever are interested in going to Rome or you like camping)  We had our own private airconditioned cabin w/ our own bathroom.  Our place had two pools, a bar, super market, and resturant.

We got to visit the Roman Forum, Palatine Hill, the Colloseum (I can't spell anything any more), Trevi Fountain, Spainish Stairs, Vantican City (Sistine Chapel, Vatican Musuems), and St.Peter's Bascilica.  I found it all very cool, but super super super touristy.  Loads of people! Word to the wise though...if you go to Palatine Hill first, you can buy a pass for Palatine Hill, Roman Forum, and the Collosum for 12 euros and skip the que (line) at the Colloseum which is forever long!!! Out of all the things we saw I was most impressed w/ St.Peter's Bascillica and The Collosuem.  I was a little underwhelmed by the Vantican.  I think it's important to see the Sistine chapel, but it's very small, and you feel very much like cattle being herded out of the room.  I was much more impressed with St.Peter's, which is FREE entrance and not as crowded. There is even a taxidermied Pope! And there is the tomb of St.Peter...which I need to figure out the time line and history of that.

One of my favorite nights was going to watch the World Cup final at the Fifa Fan Fest Roma in some HUGE park in Rome at the top of the Spanish stairs.  It was like a huge rock concert!  Too bad there was a lot of smoke and I am now sick! And it was very very very HOT! It's been pretty hot over here, if I come back again...I'm thinking fall.

Rome is one of those cities where you walk around and you feel like every other thing could be some sort of historical landmark. Lots to see and do.  Our first night in Athens (last night) we spent watching whatever random tv shows they have on in our hotel room (yes HOTEL not HOSTEL, we've moved up in the world).  So far they have had Desperate House Wives, Chuck, the Nany, and some show called Gotta Dance (kind of so you think you can dance and the guy off of Coyote Ugly is a judge!).  I will write about Athens later, and will try to put up pictures.  I might have left my camera cord in Venice :(.

Ciao for now!

3 comments: